Wednesday, December 24, 2014


Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 


Western NY

Advocates Encourage Veterans to put in Claims

  • Text size: + -
Rochester: Advocates Encourage Veterans to put in Claims
Play now

Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.

out of 10

Free Video Views Remaining

To get you to the stories you care about, we are offering everyone 10 video views per month.

Access to our video is always free for Time Warner Cable video customers who login with their TWC ID.

  To view our videos, you need to
enable JavaScript. Learn how.
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.

Then come back here and refresh the page.

Many veterans are not aware of the financial help that is available for them. Advocates say it's important for vets to put in a claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Ken Moore of the Veterans Service Agency talked with YNN Friday about services the VA offers.

When asked what Moore wants people to know about, he said, “First I want to start out by dispelling the myth that if you file a claim as a veteran that you’re taking it away from another veteran that needs it more. That’s absolutely the farthest thing from the truth because it’s a non-budgeted item. Filing claims for compensation is very important, not only does it give you extra income, it provides you with anywhere from $127 a month to $3,000 a month depending on your dependents, but the good part about that is it’s tax free money."

Moore continued, "Another big part of that is, the veterans’ files you claim for a disability for service connections say for a Vietnam vet with diabetes and here she dies of that condition, the spouse is entitled to some compensation. If the veteran doesn’t file the claim for it, then he could leave the spouse without any income from the VA.”

As many veterans fear taking away from others, that thought could eliminate funds and compensation.

Moore said, “Another thing compensation does for a veteran, you get half a percentage to a reduction to assess value of your house. So as a veteran that served in a war, it’s 25 percent if he’s 100 percent disabled then you add another 50 percent, that’s 75 percent under tax reduction. So it’s huge.”

The best way for veterans to get in touch with the VA is to call the office at 753-06040. You can set up an appointment to review records and potential compensation or claims.

Moore said, “The advantage of having Monroe County do it over a lot of different agencies is when we appoint a limited power of attorney to help us with the claim. If it needs to be appealed there would be representation that veteran in Washington at the court of appeals and they wouldn’t have to go there. So it’s an advantage to come in, the paperwork like any government agency is just crazy so we’re trained in it, we know the ins and outs and we know how to provide a good, solid claim for the veterans.” ClientIP:, UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 ( Profile: TWCSAMLSP