As you start your holiday shopping, doctors are reminding you to pay attention to the age requirements on children's toys.
The University of Rochester Medical Center says cases of children swallowing toys have become much more common. They say one toy in particular to be on the lookout for is magnets.
The magnet balls can stick to each other inside a child's intestines, causing the need for emergency surgery.
Anne Brayer MD, Pediatric Emergency Physician, said, "Well magnets themselves are not particularly dangerous if they are played with properly. The problem comes along when small children who are too young to know better than to put them in their mouths get ahold of them."
The round magnet strings, "Buckyballs" have been discontinued due to the safety hazard, but doctors say parents need to make sure to pay attention to age restrictions and safety labels on toys.