Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Follow us:
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Subscribe to this news feed 

News

Western NY

Wind Intensifies House Fire in Genesee County

  • Text size: + -

Sunday's high winds intensified a fire at a home in Genesee County.

When fire crews were called to a home on Bloomingdale Road in the Town of Alabama, flames were already coming out the second story windows.

Fire crews said the homeowner told them he climbed onto the roof to try and put the fire out, but was unable to do so and burned his feet. He was taken to the hospital.

About 10 departments responded to the fire as the weather conditions made it challenging to put out.

Assistant Alabama Fire Chief Bill Schutt said, "Wind's blowing good, the fire was already into the second floor so it came out through the roof pretty quick. We're in an area with no public water so water becomes an issue."

Firefighters said the house is considered a total loss. The homeowner told them it started in the chimney.

10.11.12.242 ClientIP: 54.227.222.235, 184.29.106.5 UserAgent: CCBot/2.0 (http://commoncrawl.org/faq/) Profile: TWCSAMLSP